I was refraining from commenting on this thread but looks like i need to point out few quick things.
1) Book sharing till its content is open for all is ohk with the forum (as already itterated by most of us)
2) Illegal content is not allowed ? (keep reading why.)
3) Assume that we do get involved in such activity this is a simple question to the Thread opener.
Have you taken the time out to understand how does free hosting services work.
secondly do you even understand the AUP policies of all such sites (which will include 4shared or rapidshare also)
some of the lines from X10hosting AUP
Free Hosting Acceptable Use Policy
Keeping all these in mind we should avoid this.
Material Protected by Copyright
You may not publish, distribute, or otherwise copy in any manner any music, software, art, or other work protected by copyright law unless:
* you have been expressly authorized by the owner of the copyright for the work to copy the work in that manner;* you are otherwise permitted by established United States copyright law to copy the work in that manner.
Free hosting users who violate the ToS or AUP will have their account removed. Premium hosting users will be informed of the violation before action is taken under most circumstances.
You may not publish or transmit via x10Hosting's service any content that x10Hosting reasonably believes:
* is otherwise malicious, fraudulent, or may result in retaliation against x10Hosting by offended viewers. Content published or transmitted via x10Hosting's service includes web content, e-mail, bulletin board postings, chat, and any other type of posting or transmission that relies on any internet service provided by x10Hosting.
Now coming out back to the ethical or actual aspects of the scenario.
I prefer paying for the book atleast this way i help the author and in turn author helps me.
People are not always open with books simmilar to not all softwares are free.
we do have a lot of free books.
besides that if people think we need some book sharing i would suggest cataloguing books each member has in a single place based on location.
example people in pune can have on big thread cataloguing all the books they have and in turn books could be shared by each other just like we have in library.
Going to the easy of use of pdf's that they provide, if you want you are free to do and keep what ever you want on your own machine but not on this forum.
of you know that something is available online help them find it but not by giving direct link.
I think i have explained enough....
hope it helps in clearing all doubts regarding a book sharing objective